The BEST flash you can buy !

Monday, August 24, 2020

 

The good old days

I just retired from trucking after 55 years of beating around the USA in a big truck and I have seen a lot that I would like to share.      

  


When I started at 17 years old, I just rode along and help unload, but the guy that I went with thought I would make a good driver so he took me under his wing and taught me everything he could about being a SAFE and PROFESSIONAL driver.

Back then the only way to get a good paying driving job was to pay your dues and drive for some small outfit that didn't pay well and worked you as hard as you would let them until you got 2 years experience then you could apply at a big company but you still had to have someone to put in a good word for you or you probably would not get hired.

I started driving a cabover GMC with a 238 Detroit engine with a 5 speed trans and a 2 speed axle giving it 10 forward gears and if you didn't load it real heavy you might get it to 70 on the flats with no headwind. Along with very few interstates, it made for a pretty tiring day especially with no air ride suspension or air ride seat or air conditioning or power steering and a radio that would only pick up country western channels.

BUT, in my opinion those were the good old days !  Everybody acknowledged other drivers, there was a comradery that has been lost in the last 20 years that the current group of drivers will never know or understand. There used to be mom and pop truckstops that offered real home cooking in a downhome atmosphere that the corporate chain stops can't come close too. but then they didn't have all of the amenities that the current stops do. I can remember when Jim Ryder started the T A truckstops. At that time it was Truckstops of America not Travel centers of America and was touted as an upscale rest/fuel stop with modern facilities for TRUCKERS that the traveling public could share.

To be fair there were other truckstops on the roads like Union 76, Standard oil, Skelly oil and the like but I truly feel that the T/A was the best for it's time. All offered fuel, parking, food and showers in varying quality but T/A was just a little better until it was sold, then it started down hill and hasn't stopped except for some who have slowed it's demise a little.

In the next few months I will try to recall some of the more interesting situations I've found myself in so all may get a laugh at some of my mistakes and luck.

Keep on truckin 😁 

No comments:

Post a Comment